Turkey Tikka Masala with Cilantro Basmati Rice
1 tablespoon of canola oil
½ large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
2 tablespoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of paprika
6-7 Roma tomatoes, diced
5-finger pinch of salt
1 cup of chicken broth
½ cup of plain yogurt
½ cup of heavy cream
3 cups of shredded turkey meat (or chicken meat)
Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Cooked basmati rice
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter with the oil. When the butter begins to bubble, add the onion and cook until caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 60 seconds.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until darkened in color, about 2-3 minutes. Add the curry powder, cumin, coriander, and paprika and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes along with the salt and chicken broth. Bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a blender and blend until smooth, about 60-90 seconds.
- Stir in the yogurt and heavy cream. Add the turkey and bring to a simmer.
- Fold cilantro into basmati rice and serve with turkey curry. Enjoy!