Lemon & Avocado Brassicas Bowl
4 large eggs
1 pound of chicken thighs (Optional)
Ground black pepper
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
1 bunch of broccolini, trimmed
1 small shallot, finely chopped
Juice and zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 tablespoon of whole grain mustard
8 cups of curly kale, ribs and stems removed, leaves torn
8 ounces of Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
½ cup of roasted and unsalted sunflower seeds
½ cup of hummus
¼ cup of peanuts, crushed
2 avocados, quartered
¼ cup of parsley, roughly chopped
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and, using a spoon, gently add the eggs to the water. Continuing boiling for 6½ minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water to cool. Peel, cut in half, and set aside.
- If you are using chicken, preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet, rub with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and ground black pepper. Roast on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Let cool and chop into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the broccolini with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and ground black pepper. Roast on the top rack for about 8-10 minutes until slightly charred. Let cool and roughly chop. Set aside.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the olive oil, shallot, lemon juice, lemon zest, and whole grain mustard. Shake vigorously until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the kale and Brussels sprouts along with ¾ of the vinaigrette and massage into the greens. Add the roasted broccolini, ½ of the sunflower seeds, ½ of the hummus, and ½ of the peanuts and toss again.
- Divide salad into 4 bowls and top with a cut egg, some chicken, and avocado wedges. Garnish with parsley and the remaining sunflowers seeds, hummus, and peanuts. Season to taste and enjoy!