(Video recipe is below the written recipe)
Graham Cracker Crust:
1 cup of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of graham cracker, very finely crushed
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup of ice water, plus more if needed
1 egg yolk, for brushing
Pumpkin Pie Filling:
3 large eggs, plus one egg for glaze
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk (about one 12 ounce can)
1 1/2 tablespoon of heavy cream
1 1/2 cups of fresh or canned pumpkin puree
Instructions for Graham Cracker Crust:
- In a bowl, mix flour, finely crushed graham crackers, sugar, and salt. Add butter pieces and mix with a fork/hands until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add egg yolk and some of the water, tablespoons as a time, and combine just until the dough holds together.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a circle that is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Sprinkle some extra graham cracker crumbs on the bottom of a pie pan/dish and transfer rolled out pie dough to the pan/dish, fit and trim edges. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. In the meantime, make your pumpkin pie filling.
Instructions for Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, cornstarch, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin puree. Beat and combine well.
- Add vanilla extract, evaporated milk, and heavy cream. Whisk very vigorously.
- Let the filling rest for at least 15 minutes before pouring into pie crust.
- Now gently ladle the filling into the pie crust until it is almost full (about 1/8 of an inch away from the top). Carefully transfer to the oven and bake for 45-65 minutes until the filling is set. (Filling is set when the filling no longer appears liquid).
- Cool the pie for at least an hour, if not overnight. Side note: this pie is actually better the next day, so if you make it the night before and refrigerate it overnight, it will be perfection the next night.
- Serve with whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream and enjoy!